Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Outfest: Hairspray Sing-A-Long

PHEW! Sorry I haven't posted since last week, but NOW I have things to blog about!

On Thursday, July 19th, my mom and I went to the annual Hairspray Sing Along that Outfest was presenting at the Ford Theater! I was hoping that John Waters would be there since the LGBT Film Festival was honoring him, so I brought my Tracy Turnblad dollie for him to sign!

Unfortunately, he wasn't there, but I had an AMAZING time! The show kicked off with a guy (whom I'm pretty sure worked there) running across the stage wearing a big orange wig, spraying a can of Aqua-Net and singing "Good Morning Baltimore"! He talked a bit about the film and gave me and my mom shout-out for our "costumes"! And what's funny is that people were clapping for us!

When he was finishing up his speech, he said something about how people can relate to the movies they watch and how they can make them feel better about themselves. Then.... The movie started with:

DAH, DAH-DAH... DAH, DAH-DAH...


When Tracy Turnblad belted out "Good Morning Baltimore", I couldn't help but to get goosebumps and tears rolling down my cheeks.

The reason for the tears is because this movie changed my life as well as my hair. Watching the movie had given me so much inspiration... It also got me to dye my hair blue! Before we moved to Los Angeles, I had never really been accepted by anybody. I couldn't even dress the way I wanted to. If I showed any signs of expressing myself, the kids would insult me endlessly and one thing they did in particular is they used to hit the top of my head to make my hair deflate... Now, people appreciate my style and I am so happy and grateful that I have finally found a place where I belong.

I wish Mr. Waters was there so I could have the honor to shake his hand and thank him for that...

It felt so great. The vibe in the whole place was bright and cheerful as well as a bit tipsy! We were all clapping and singing our hearts out.

I cannot wait for next years Hairspray.

No comments:

Post a Comment