Sunday, July 15, 2012

Comedy Camp: Week #1

So yesterday was my first day of camp, and I think I did pretty good compared to how I thought I would do.

I didn't have to audition, but like everyone else, I had to go on stage and tell a joke. Knowing the fact that I wasn't alone, made me feel better but as each name was called, my anxiety got worse and worse. I began to get so stressed out, I couldn't even sweat. My mouth was dry, my hands were shaking, my legs felt weak and my heart was pounding up until I looked behind me.

It was almost as if an angel had landed from the sky. He casually walked on in and sat down. Once one of the kids were done performing, he went up on stage and made two announcements: one being that he couldn't stay for too long cos he had to go somewhere and the other being that next week, he would stay longer, but with a special guest.

He sat back down and moments later...

DUN, DUN, DUNNN...

My name was called.

And surprisingly, I didn't freak out. I took a deep breath and quickly, for the first time in my life, got up there, on stage, and did my thing. I did as best as I could, as calm as I could, and I actually got pretty good reviews from the guest comedians!

All I could see up there, other than the bright stage lights, was my mom taking photos through the lobby window, (reason being, the parents weren't allowed to come inside cos apparently the make the children "nervous") the red light signaling that my time was done, an that "angel's" smile.

And that "angel" was Dane Cook.

I don't think I could have done it without him. Since my mom wasn't allowed in, it was very comforting to see a familiar face in the audience. He is one of my all-time favorite comedians and his jokes/stories have made me laugh so hard, I'd cry.

But it wasn't until later when I realized that...

DUDE! I JUST HAD MY FIRST PERFORMANCE AT THE LAUGH FACTORY WITH DANE-FLIPPING-COOK IN THE AUDIENCE!!!

I couldn't believe what I did, and I STILL can't! I can't believe I had the guts to even go ON STAGE and I can't believe that Dane was actually WATCHING ME! And he SMILED!

Although I was awfully stressed that day, I went through it and had a lot of fun. I'm looking very forward to next Saturday and I'm very proud of myself for doing what I did.

This was one of the best moments of my life and I will treasure it forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment